Chuck Schumer is really the Dem’s Senate Leader –he built their 51-49 majority, after all, not Harry Reid– so Schumer’s agenda deserves some close scrutiny. They key bits:
Schumer said he’d focus on:
* Building the Second Avenue subway;
* Building a railway linking lower Manhattan to JFK Airport;
* Building a new tunnel under the Hudson River to connect Midtown with New Jersey.
* Changing Medicare and Medicaid formulas;
* Doling out homeland-security funds based on threat;
* Getting more federal money for education and affordable housing, and
* Increasing tax deductions for college tuition.
Except for #4, not a bad agenda for Federalists. If New York’s senior senator could figure out how to go Lieberman on the war and reasonable on judges, he’d almost be a FDR-Truman-JFK Democrat.